Changing a Designated Premises Supervisor

If the DPS has left a premises, a new one must be appointed immediately. You cannot sell alcohol on the premises until you've completed the application process.

How to be appointed the DPS

The premises licence holder will need to apply by completing the application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor form.

The person who is applying to be DPS will need to complete a DPS consent form

This person will be given day to day responsibility for running the premises by the premises licence holder.

You will need to attach the existing Premises Licence (not the Premises Licence Summary, which is on display at the premises). If you do not have the original or a certified copy, you must pay £10.50 for a duplicate copy.

When submitting your application you'll need to pay the £23 application fee.

You will also need to send a copy of your application to:

The Licensing Officer
Kent Police
Medway Police Station
Purser Way

Once the Licensing Unit has accepted the application as complete, you will be allowed to sell alcohol immediately and will not be in breach of the mandatory conditions.

If there are frequent changes of supervisor, the premises licence holder can submit the form in advance, specifying the date when the new individual will be in post and when the change will take effect.

Breach of mandatory condition

If you are authorised under the Premises Licence for the retail sale of alcohol the following mandatory condition is placed on your licence.

No supply of alcohol may be made under this licence at a time when:

  • there is no DPS
  • the DPS does not hold a personal licence or his or her personal licence is suspended

Every retail sale or supply of alcohol made under this licence must be made or authorised by a person who holds a personal licence.

The government considers it essential that police officers, fire officers and the council as the licensing authority can immediately identify the DPS so that any problems can be dealt with swiftly. The police can, at any stage after the appointment of a DPS, seek a review of a premises licence on any grounds relating to the licensing objectives if anxieties arise about the performance of the supervisor.

For more information contact Licensing Services on 01634 337 107 or 01634 337 108 or contact Enforcement on 01634 337 112 or 01634 337 106 or by emailing

Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR