A Better Medway Champions are members of the public who have been trained to help their friends, families and the wider community make informed choices about healthy lifestyles.
- the latest news and developments in health and wellbeing
- techniques to help manage conversations about health and wellbeing
- access to information about local health and wellbeing services
The benefits of becoming a Champion
After completing the training Champions will receive:
- a Level 2 Award in Understanding Health Improvement from the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH)
- an A Better Medway Champion certificate awarded by Medway Council
All Champions need to complete a core module and three masterclasses.
The module will last two and a half days and covers:
- definitions of health and wellbeing
- positive and negative influences on health and wellbeing
- health inequalities and policies for addressing them
- local support services and resources for telling people about them
- effective communication techniques and how they can support conversations about health and wellbeing
- basic principles and techniques of motivational interviewing
At the end of the module, Champions will be required to take a 45-minute multiple choice assessment.
Champions will need to complete three masterclasses, each one lasting three and a half hours.
The options for the masterclasses are:
- obesity and physical activity
- eating well
- smoking in Medway
- sexual health
- mental health
- social isolation
- debt advice
- drug and alcohol
More opportunities to learn
Champions also have the opportunity to attend one-off master classes.
- diabetes prevention
- visual impairment
- domestic abuse
- carers first
- oral health
- air pollution
What our Champions say
The training is really beneficial. You get the Level 2 qualification and it provides you with the tools to have that conversation with a local resident and provide the right support.
They have given me the tools to let me do my job better.
I successfully completed this (AMB Champions) and other training and have found that my confidence and knowledge has increased, which has helped me to help others in my volunteering work.
Become a Champion
To sign up or find out more about becoming a Champion email