How to become a Shared Lives carer
You can register your interest in becoming a Shared Lives carer by completing the Shared Lives carer application form and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to Shared Lives, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, ME4 4TR
We will then contact you to arrange for a member of the team to visit you and discuss the next steps.
For more information phone 01634 337 100.
Next steps to becoming a Shared Lives carer
Once we have your completed application:
- we will take up the references
- we will ask you to complete your online DBS application
- a Shared Lives social worker will be sent to work with you to complete your assessment (this takes about 12 weeks)
During the assessment:
- the social worker will visit you weekly to gather the information needed and take you through the Care Certificate requirements (the standards that set out what knowledge and skills you need in your care role)
- we will complete a Health and Safety check of your home
- we will visit you with a small group of people who use Shared Lives services
This informal meeting gives people a chance to look at the rooms you’re planning to share, ask questions and take photos of you, any pets and your home.
This is then put together to create your Shared Lives carer profile. This will be shared with the approval panel and, with your agreement, anyone interested in being matched with you.
Once all of the references are returned and the checks and assessment completed, you’ll be invited to the Independent Approval Panel with your social worker.