Coronavirus (COVID-19) support
For information about help and support for families, children, and young people with SEND and the current government restrictions, visit the Council for Disabled Children.
Local information and support services
There are many local and national organisations and services to help and support families with children and young people with SEND.
- Medway Parents & Carers Forum
- Medway SEND Information Advice and Support service (SENDIAS)
- Medway Family Information Service
- Citizens Advice Medway
- Healthwatch Medway
- Positive Behaviour Support (PBS)
National information and support services
- Council for Disabled Children
- Special Needs Today
- Action for Children
- Disability Rights UK
- Family Fund
- Disabled Living Foundation
- SEND GOV.UK
- The Mobility and Support Information Service
Search our directory to find childcare providers such as childminders, nurseries and pre-schools in Medway.
When making contact with a provider, parents and carers should check that staff are qualified to deliver specific services.
Settings should also have a recruitment policy which shows that they follow safe recruitment practice, including taking up references and staff having a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check in place where appropriate.
Parenting support programmes
Parents and carers must be referred for the programmes by a professional working in Health, Social Care or Education.
The support programmes available for parents or carers to help with behaviour management are:
- Virtual Triple P - for any parent with a child aged 5-11 who has general behavioural concerns or conduct problems.
- Virtual Triple P Teen - for any parent with a child aged 12-17 who has concerns regarding their teenager’s behavioural conduct and pro-social skills.
- Virtual Triple P ADHD -
- any parent with a child aged 5-11 who is being assessed for ADHD by a paediatrician or already has a diagnosis of ADHD.
We currently do not offer a programme specifically for Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) but we can accommodate those children with an ADHD co-morbidity.
Download our parenting support leaflets:
- parenting service leaflet for referrers 2021
- parenting service leaflet for parents 2021
- parenting service FAQ's 2021
Medway Community Healthcare (MCH) behaviour clinic
If you are a MCH patient you may be able to access MCH's behaviour clinic and promoting positive behaviour sessions.
- promoting positive behaviour sessions information leaflet
- behaviour clinic parent information leaflet
NELFT have shared recent talks they gave in Kent. The talks by Dr. Rachel Hussey are for families and children waiting for an autism assessment.
You can watch the following talks on YouTube: