Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates
Medway Archives Centre is open for pre-booked appointments on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays between 9am and 5pm, and on Saturdays between 9am and 12:30pm.
Arranging your visit
You can search or browse for original archive material on the Medway Council Heritage Services catalogue.
You can find books and periodicals by searching the Medway Libraries online catalogue.
If you cannot find what you are looking for, please contact us.
How to make an appointment
Email us at email@example.com to make an appointment and to discuss which items you wish to consult.
For original archive material you must give at least 3 working days’ notice of your intention to visit. For all other material (such as books, maps, photographs) we just require 1 working days’ notice.
When you book we'll ask for your name and contact details so that we can keep in touch with you about your appointment.
Facilities available for your visit
Copying and printing facilities
Copying and printing facilities are available for your visit (including photocopying, microfilm/fiche printing, or digital image requests). Digital image requests cannot be completed on the day, although we aim to complete these within 5 to 10 working days.
You can buy a photography permit and use your own device to take photographs of collection items, subject to normal agreements about your use of any images.
Toilets, refreshments, and lockers
- Toilets are available but only for visitors to Medway Archives Centre
- Lockers are available
- There are no refreshment facilities currently available in the foyer
When you arrive for your visit
Please delay your visit if you are displaying any symptoms of COVID-19.
- We ask that you wash your hands prior to handling any collection material or use of any equipment
- Please bring your own pencil and notebook for taking notes (or laptop/tablet)
- You will be assigned a desk/computer when you book. Please do not use other spaces, even if they are not at the time being used by other visitors
- Contactless payment is preferred. If you need to pay by cash please provide exact change as far as possible.
- We offer charged research and reprographics services. More information and fees can be found on our fees and charges webpage.
- At this time we cannot process bulk microfilm/fiche printing orders and prints of these will be limited to 10 pages per customer.
- We are currently unable to offer any Family History Helpdesk sessions.