Medway Archives Centre re-opened on 27 July 2020 for pre-booked appointments only.
We've reviewed our services, opening times and visiting arrangements to follow government guidelines and keep our staff and visitors safe. We've put additional social distancing, hygiene and cleaning measures in place and ask that all visitors observe a 2-metres distance from others and good hygiene.
Our reopening is planned in a cautious way to ensure that we can review all of the practical issues involved in running the service safely. We'll keep these opening arrangements under review.
Book your appointment
Our opening hours are 9.30am to 1pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
We are operating an appointment-only system and all material must be pre-booked. We can not accommodate visits without an appointment.
Four visitors can be accommodated at one time to ensure social distancing.
You can order up to 6 archive documents and up to 10 local studies resources per appointment.
When you book we'll ask for your name and contact details so that we can keep in touch with you about your appointment. We will also ask that these details are recorded for NHS Test and Trace purposes for 21 days.
How to make an appointment
Please email us at email@example.com to make an appointment and to discuss which items you wish to consult.
You'll need to give at least three working days’ notice of your intention to visit.
Facilities available for your appointment
Staff can not provide close one-to-one assistance, for example help with operating computers.
Resources are not available for browsing
- Resources including indexes, paper catalogues, microfilms, local studies books and maps are not available for browsing.
- You must order all resources you need in advance.
- We can not provide access to microfilm readers.
- You can search or browse for original archive material on the Medway Council Heritage Services catalogue
- You can find books and periodicals by searching the Medway Libraries online catalogue.
- If you cannot find what you are looking for, please contact us.
Copying and printing facilities
We can not provide any copying or printing facilities on the day (including photocopying or digital image requests). Copy requests will be processed after the documents you have seen have been quarantined for 72 hours.
We aim to fulfil all copy requests within 5 to 10 working days.
We will quarantine all material used for 72 hours. This may mean that some material may initially be unavailable for your appointment.
You can buy a photography permit and use your own device to take photographs of collection items, subject to normal agreements about your use of any images.
Toliets, refreshments and lockers
- Toilets are available but only for visitors to Medway Archives Centre
- Lockers are available
- There are no refreshment facilities currently available in the foyer
When you arrive for your appointment
Please delay your visit if you are displaying any symptoms of Coronavirus (Covid-19).
From Saturday 8 August, you must wear a face covering in many of our venues. This includes Medway Archives Centre. Find out more about face coverings.
- The foyer to Medway Archives Centre is kept closed while Strood Community Hall is not in use and while we are operating an appointment-only system.
- Please arrive promptly at your appointment time and call 01634 332 714 to let staff know you have arrived.
- We will slightly stagger arrival times so that staff can greet each visitor, introduce the new visiting procedures, and issue collection material requested
- We ask that you wash your hands prior to handling any collection material or use of any equipment
- Please bring your own pencil and notebook for taking notes (or laptop/tablet).
- You will be assigned a desk/computer when you book. Please do not use other spaces, even if they are not at the time being used by other visitors
- Contactless payment is preferred. If you need to pay by cash please provide exact change as far as possible
- Our charged research and reprographics service will continue to operate. More information and fees can be found on our fees and charges webpage.
- At this time we cannot process bulk microfilm/fiche printing orders and prints of these will be limited to 20 pages per customer.
- We are not able to have volunteers working onsite. This means there will not be any Family History Helpdesk sessions available.