20 to 26 September 2021
Our Medway Recycles team will be helping to raise awareness throughout the week on all things recycling. Find out more about the recycling events by clicking the links below:
- caddy liner offers
- roadshow events
- top tips
- Bring it, do not bin it: small electrical drop offs
- the latest news on how we’re helping to create a greener Medway.
This year, Recycle Week will focus on how recycling can help us fight climate change.
The climate crisis is happening every day and we can help to make a difference. Small but powerful habits, like recycling can make a huge difference.
Find out what we are doing to help tackle climate change in Medway.
You can use your brown bin to recycle food waste. As a little way of saying thanks and to encourage more residents to recycle food waste, we’re running an exclusive buy one get one free offer on caddy liners for the whole of Recycle Week 2021. They’re the easiest and cleanest way to recycle food waste at home. Your food waste is taken to be turned into compost which is then used on local farmland.
Our caddy liners:
- have robust seams
- are made from renewable, natural materials
- help to reduce overflowing mess and odours
- are a simple way to transfer waste into your brown bin.
To take up this special offer, you can:
- come to one of our road shows
- visit your local Medway library or community hub (from Monday 20 September to Sunday 26September 2021).
A roll of caddy liners is just £2.
Our Recycling Roadshow is back with 4 events during Recycle Week 2021. Our buy one get one free offer on caddy liners will be available for you to take part in (cash only).
We’ll also have a free recycling materials for you to take away, including reusable blue and white bags, and information leaflets.
Roadshow dates and times
- Hempstead Valley Shopping Centre - Monday 20 September, 9am to 6pm
- Hempstead Valley Shopping Centre - Tuesday 21 September, 9am to 6pm
- Pentagon Shopping Centre - Wednesday 22 September, 10am to 4pm
- Dockside Outlet Centre, Chatham - Thursday 23 September, 10am to 2pm.
A big green thumbs up goes out to all our Medway residents who are helping to improve our recycle rate in Medway.
What items could you recycle more of at home? Here are some suggestions from us:
- plastic bottles, trigger spray bottles and deodorant cans
- all paper and card including paper items such as torn envelopes and ripped up receipts
- all garden and food waste (in your brown bin)
To find out more about what you can recycle and how to do it, visit our sort it right page.
Batteries can be recycled at:
- all Medway community hubs and libraries
- most supermarkets and electronic outlets
- household waste and recycling centres.
We will have lots of tips and tricks during recycling week, but here are some reminders on what to do (and what not to do) when it comes to recycling:
- do not put black sacks in your brown bin. Put them out separately for collection
- large items can be taken to our Household Waste and Recycling Centre by booking a slot online
- book a bulky waste collection from your house to save you a trip to the tip
- separate paper from other materials and present it in the blue reusable bag (this increases the value of the material)
- clean out food-stained packaging including foil trays, so that these can be recycled instead of going to waste
- use caddy liners to recycle food waste - the easiest and cleanest way to get rid of food.
If you have some small electricals at home that do not work, bring your items to us and we will recycle them for you.
Your items must:
- fit inside a standard carrier bag
- have a plug or a battery.
|Monday 20 September 2021||10am to 12pm||Medway Park car park|
|Monday 20 September 2021||1pm to 3pm||Gun Wharf car park|
|Tuesday 21 September 2021||10am to 12pm||Parkwood Shopping Centre|
|Tuesday 21 September 2021||1pm to 3pm||Rainham Shopping Centre|
|Wednesday 22 September 2021||10am to 12pm||outside the Pentagon|
|Wednesday 22 September 2021||1pm to 3pm||Chatham Library|
|Thursday 23 September 2021||10am to 12pm||Dockside car park|
|Thursday 23 September 2021||1pm to 3pm||St Marys Island Community Centre|
|Friday 24 September 2021||10am to 12pm||Hoo - Shoppers car park|
|Friday 24 September 2021||1pm to 3pm||High Halstow Community Hall|
|Saturday 25 September 2021||10am to 12pm||Big Tesco - Gillingham|
|Saturday 25 September 2021||1pm to 3pm||Asda - Gillingham Pier|
|Sunday 26 September 2021||10am to 12pm||Morrisons Strood car park|
|Sunday 26 September 2021||1pm to 3pm||Strood Sports Centre|
You can get involved by showing us how you are stepping up this year. Use the hashtag #MedwayRecycles and we will look out for your post on our Facebook and Twitter pages: