- Updates and information
Capstone household waste and recycling centre (HWRC) is closed for concreting works from Monday 19 September to Sunday 9 October 2022.
During this time, you can still book a car into our Hoath Way and Cuxton sites.
Vans can book into our Cuxton site only.
Book your visit
Please remember to organise your recycling into different material types.
You must place materials into the correct containers when you arrive at the site. You must also dispose of any bags used to store materials in a separate container.
- Opening times
When you book you'll be able to choose from these slots:
- 8am to 9am
- 9:01am to 10am
- 10:01am to 11am
- 11:01am to 12pm
- 12:01pm to 1pm
- 1:01pm to 2pm
- 2:01pm to 3pm
- 3:01pm to 4pm.
- What you can recycle and dispose of
- appliances (small and large)
- asbestos (how to dispose of asbestos)
- car batteries
- clothes and fabrics
- computers and screens
- cooking oil
- electrical items
- engine oil (used)
- food and drink tins
- fluorescent tubes
- fridges and freezers (not commercial)
- garden furniture
- garden toys
- garden chemicals
- garden waste
- gas bottles
- glass bottles and jars
- hardcore (for example broken building materials)
- hard plastic containers
- household batteries
- household furniture
- light bulbs
- printer cartridges
- scrap metal
- wood and timber.
- Vehicle access
You can use a privately-owned car, which is defined as a passenger carrying vehicle under 2 metres in height with 9 seats or less, to take household waste to our Capstone recycling centre.
You can also book to take a small, privately-owned van to Cuxton or Capstone recycling centre. Check the list of permitted vehicles below.
Cars with trailers
You can visit the Capstone centre in a car with a trailer.
- be no wider than the towing car
- be no longer than 6 feet 8 inches long
- hold a capacity of less than 35 cubic feet
- not be filled over capacity, trailers filled over capacity will be refused entry.
For safety, you may be asked to unhitch your trailer and park in the bay next to it.
Small, privately-owned vans
At Cuxton and Capstone waste and recycling centres, you can also bring your household waste in a small-privately owned van. To use this service, you must be a Medway resident and pay Council Tax to Medway Council.
This service is by appointment only on Wednesdays and Saturdays for Medway residents only. If you pay Council Tax to a Kent Council and you need to book a visit in a van, use Kent County Council's booking service.
A small van is a vehicle that:
- can comfortably fit under the 2 metre height barrier
- has a single wheelbase
- weighs less than 2 tonnes (including van contents).
- Vehicles not permitted
The following vehicles are not permitted at any site:
- sign-written vehicles, apart from taxis
- transit vans
- single cab pick-ups
- large vans
- any van with a trailer
- Luton box vans
- flatbed or drop sider vans
- horseboxes or agricultural vehicles
- mobility scooters.