Before you move out, you'll need to:
- return all keys, including keys to garages, sheds and outhouses
- leave all the landlord fixtures such as kitchen units, doors and gas fires
- shut all windows and doors
- turn services off at the mains
- not leave any bare wires or open gas pipes
- hire a qualified engineer to disconnect the cooker
- remove all items including rubbish and furniture. You'll be charged a removal fee for anything left behind
- leave the property clean and tidy.
Returning your keys
All keys must be returned to us by midday on the Monday your tenancy ends. If you return your keys late, you'll continue to be charged rent until the keys are received.
You need to return your keys to:
If you're terminating a tenancy for one of our Homes for Independent Living schemes, the keys can be returned to the scheme support officer on site.
Rent and debt owed after you leave
You should make arrangements to pay off all rent and debts before you move out. We'll pursue tenants who have left their tenancy with outstanding rent and debts.
You’ll need to leave the property in a good condition, and it will be inspected by Mears.
Mears will advise you on what you need to do to avoid being charged for works. If there is damage to walls and fixtures, you’ll be charged for repairs.
If you’re a secure tenant and have made home improvements that have increased the value of the property, we’ll identify these and may compensate you.
Learn more about home improvement compensation.
Booking your appointment
To book your pre-void property inspection appointment:
- phone Mears on 01634 333 601.
If you have any questions about the termination of your tenancy, contact the Housing Tenancy Team by:
- phone: 01634 333 344
- email: email@example.com.