Make a complaint

We’re committed to providing excellent customer service to all our residents and visitors. However, there may be times when you feel unhappy with the service we’ve provided.

Your feedback is very important to us. Knowing what you think or want helps us improve our services.

Read our customer charter for more information on how we aim to provide excellent service.

Before you make a complaint

You can get some of your issues dealt with quickly and easily by reporting them to us online. These include:

Report other problems online.

If you’ve found a problem with a Medway Council web page, click ‘leave feedback about this page’ at the bottom of any page on this website. Let us know which page needs improving and what went wrong.

Complaints procedure

Our complaints procedure is for anyone who wants to complain about a service they’ve received from Medway Council.

If you make a complaint, we’ll investigate it thoroughly and let you know the outcome. We’ll be fair and we’ll try to put things right if we’ve made a mistake.

Adult social care complaints are handled differently in line with statutory procedures.

Our complaints procedure has two stages:

Stage one

The people providing the service are usually best placed to resolve any problem or concern you have. So, at stage one we’ll ask the service to consider your complaint and try to sort things out quickly.

We aim to acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days of receiving it.

And we aim to get back to you within 10 working days with a full written response. If we cannot reply to you within this time, we’ll let you know why and tell you when you can expect a reply.

Child services and Adult social care services follow a different statutory timescale set out by law.

Schools and housing also have their own complaints procedure.

How to make a stage one complaint

Make a complaint online

You can also complain using the following methods:

  • Write to: Customer Relations Team, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR
  • In person at a local Community hub
  • Phone: 01634 333 333
  • Text relay: 18001 01634 333 333

Stage two

Stage two gives you the opportunity to have your complaint looked at again if you’re not happy with our response at stage one. Your complaint will be reviewed by a Customer Relations Investigations Officer.

We aim to acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days of receiving it.

We may need to telephone you to discuss your complaint during our investigation. We aim to provide you with a written response within 15 working days.

If your complaint is complex and we need longer to investigate it, we’ll notify you and tell you when you can expect a reply.

How to make a stage two complaint

If you want to make a stage two complaint, ideally you should do so within a month of receiving your stage one response. You must tell us what points you do not agree with in our stage one response.

Contact us about a stage two complaint:

  • Email:
  • Write to: Customer Relations Team, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR
  • Text relay: 18001 01634 332 456
  • Phone: 01634 332 456

Help from others

At any stage you can contact your local councillor or use another person or organisation to contact us on your behalf (such as your MP or a community group).

We may need to contact you to ask for consent to investigate your complaint.

Our privacy policy outlines how we use your data while investigating your complaint.

What cannot be looked at under our complaints procedure

You cannot use our complaints procedure to tell us about service requests, requests for information or appeals.

Service requests or enquiries

If you’ve completed a complaints form and we feel that we can solve the issue more quickly by passing your request to a service, this will be logged as a ‘service request’. We will let you know that this is what we’ve done.

You can report fly-tipping, missed bin collections, and other kinds of problems online. Report a problem online.

Requests for information

If you’ve requested information about a service or the records we hold about you, we will pass this to our Information Governance Team as a request for information under the General Data Protection Regulations.

Make a Freedom of Information request to find out information about a service.
Make a Subject Access Request (SAR) to find out what data we hold about you.

Appeals or tribunals

Some council services such as planning and parking have statutory appeal processes with their own time limits. If this is the case, we will let you know straight away what they are and what you need to do. We cannot investigate your complaint until the appeal process has been completed.

What to do if you’re still not satisfied

We hope that our complaints procedure will help to sort out quickly and successfully any problems you may have with the way our services are provided. However, if you’re still not satisfied with the way we handle your complaint, or the conclusions we reach, you can take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman.

The Local Government Ombudsman is a free independent national service which investigates complaints against councils. You can complain to the Ombudsman at any time but they will expect you to have tried to resolve matters through our internal procedures first.

Other complaints processes and timetables

The following services use different complaints processes and timetables: