Report an accident at work

Employers have a duty to report certain types of injury in their workplace under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR).

Only ‘responsible persons’ including employers, the self-employed and people in control of work premises should submit reports under RIDDOR. 


All incidents can be reported online but a phone service is also provided for reporting fatal and specified injuries only - phone the HSE’s Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm).

Reporting out of hours

The HSE and local authority enforcement officers are not an emergency service. If you need to report a very serious or dangerous incident such as a work-related death, phone HSE on 0345 300 9923 or Medway Council on 01634 304 400.