Health and safety
As a private landlord you must carry out certain health and safety checks.
When you rent your property you’re responsible for:
- repairs and maintenance
- getting a valid gas safety certificate every year
- carrying out gas safety checks at your property
- agreeing rent and rental conditions for living in your home before the tenant moves in
A risk assessment is likely to identify the need for working smoke alarms if they are not already installed.
As a private landlord you must:
- have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of a property
- have a carbon monoxide alarm in any room with a solid fuel burning appliance such as a coal fire or wood burning stove
- make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy
For more information read the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Regulation booklet.