Health and safety

As a private landlord you must carry out certain health and safety checks. 

When you rent your property you’re responsible for:

  • repairs and maintenance
  • getting a valid gas safety certificate every year
  • carrying out gas safety checks at your property 
  • agreeing rent and rental conditions for living in your home before the tenant moves in

Fire safety

A risk assessment is likely to identify the need for working smoke alarms if they are not already installed.

As a private landlord you must:

  • have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of a property
  • have a carbon monoxide alarm in any room with a solid fuel burning appliance such as a coal fire or wood burning stove
  • make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy

For more information read the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Regulation booklet.