Rochester Riverside is a flagship project in our regeneration programme. The site is made up of brownfield development land, stretching from Rochester Bridge to the north and Doust Way to the south.
As well as meeting our objective of providing new homes and jobs for Medway, the Rochester Riverside development will bring other benefits including:
- a range of publicly accessible open spaces
- retail facilities
- leisure facilities
- improvements to the ‘gateways’ between the River Medway and Rochester High Street.
Rochester Riverside is a project managed in partnership by Medway Council and Homes England. Both organisations have invested substantial funds in site assembly, flood defences, remediation and engineering works to enable the site’s detailed redevelopment.
The area will be developed over the next 8 years and will provide:
- around 1,400 high quality new homes (including 25% affordable housing)
- over 10 acres of open space including parks, play areas and landscaping
- over 108,000 square foot of non-residential floor space, including Station Square and Cory’s Wharf with its Creekside shops and cafes, some of which are now open for business including Costa Coffee, Coop supermarket and a new hotel
- a new primary school
- leisure facilities
- office space
- further shops and restaurants to be delivered in later phases.
The site has already become a new neighbourhood and destination, well connected to Rochester High Street and the new railway station.
Rochester Riverside progress
Countryside Properties and Hyde Housing have been selected to turn our regeneration plans for Rochester Riverside into reality. They now have detailed planning permission for Phases 1 to 3 where 243 homes are now occupied and a further 259 are in construction.
Phase 4a has now been transferred to Countryside and construction is expected to start shortly.
Rochester Riverside project updates
Countryside and Hyde are about to commence phase 4 (which has been accelerated). This means that certain areas of the river walk have had to be temporarily closed.
The marketing suite and show homes are now available to view.
Masterplan and development brief
The vision for Rochester Riverside was established in the 2014 Rochester Riverside Development Brief and Masterplan.
For more information about the Rochester Riverside project please email firstname.lastname@example.org.