We have successfully secured £11.1 million from the Government's Local Growth Fund through the South East Local Enterprise Partnership to improve the road network and journey times on the A289 between M2 junction 1 and the Medway Tunnel.
The works on the A289 will:
- increase capacity and provide full signalisation and pedestrian crossing facilities at Four Elms roundabout
- include a free flow slip road from Wainscott Bypass to Four Elms Hill
- include a free flow slip road from Frindsbury Hill to Wulfere Way
- include additional lanes on Wulfere Way between the Sans Pareil and Four Elms roundabout
- realign the Wainscott Road Junction from Sans Pareil roundabout to Frindsbury Hill
- include an additional exit lane onto Berwick Way for right turning traffic
- enforce reduced speed limits along the entire route
Subject to planning and final approval, it is expected that the works will start in 2020. The improvements will be delivered by March 2021 in accordance with the LGF funding period.