Strood Town Centre Project
We have successfully secured £9million from the Government's Local Growth Fund through the South East Local Enterprise Partnership to improve Strood Town Centre.
The project aims to improve:
- the reliability of journey times through the town
- pedestrian facilities
- the look and feel of the town to encourage more people to visit
We are also aiming to boost economic growth, provide new jobs in the town and create a place that people are proud to live, work and visit.
Phase 1: Commercial Road Car Park
The first phase of the project is underway to transform the existing car park and market space at Commercial Road, creating a new and improved market site.
The key features of the Commercial Road car park include:
- the resurfacing of the car park with high quality materials
- a pedestrian route through the car park that will be realigned with Tolgate Lane to improve the link from the high street to the retail park
- new seating, planting and improved lighting
Access during the works
Due to the works, there may be alternative routes in place. We will do everything we can to minimise disruption during the works.
During the works we will:
- maintain access between Tolgate Lane and Commercial Road and High Street throughout
- maintain the existing walkway in Commercial Road car park or a suitable alternative will be provided as the works progress
- continue to provide disabled parking at Commercial Road car park. We will include on-site signage in place to advise drivers if locations change as work progresses.
Thank you for supporting local businesses while we carry out this work. Please bear with us while we do everything possible to minimise disruption.
The design for the next phases of the project will continue to be developed and executed during 2018 to 2019, these include:
- improvements to pedestrian routes
- cycling facilities
- improvements to the road layout in the town centre to reduce congestion
We also held consultations about the proposals, view the results in the Final Strood Draft Action Plan Consultation Report.
Strood Train Station
The project has also provided funding towards the new railway station building at Strood, which was delivered by Southeastern and opened in 2017 as part of the National Station Improvement Programme.
Find out more about the Strood Town Centre project by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.