Applying for a variation enables you to:

  • add all types of licensable activities
  • increase or reduce hours on licensable activities
  • apply for seasonal or non-standard times such as extensions on bank holidays
  • make structural alterations such as removals of walls, moving the servery or counter, increasing the licensed area, licensing another floor in the building, outside areas
  • remove, amend or add conditions.

Application process

To apply for variation in relation to a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate, the applicant will be required to:

  • complete a variation application form 
  • pay the relevant fee
  • provide a plan of the premises, if different from original application
  • provide the original premises licence.

If you don't have Word, you may download the variation of premises licence application form.

The original summary must remain at the premises.

The applicant must send copies of the application form to the responsible authorities.  If you do not send full copies to the Responsible Authorities, any one of them can declare your application to be invalid.

On submission of your application form you must then advertise the application.

For what happens after you have submitted your application and advertised your application please see out information about the consultation period.

Application form

You can get an application form by contacting us and we can arrange for an application to be left at reception or send it in the post. 

We must be able to read the form easily. If areas of the form are left blank or items omitted, the form will be returned to the applicant as an invalid application.

Apply online

Apply for a variation of your premises licence

Will tacit consent apply

Tacit consent will apply to online applications. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the council by the end of the stated target completion period which is 28 days.

More information

For more information contact the Licensing Team by emailing

Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR