Who can apply?

LHA is for people on a low income who are living in private rented property and claiming housing benefit for the first time.

You can't get LHA if you:

  • are a council or housing association tenant
  • have a tenancy that started before 1989
  • live in a caravan, mobile home or houseboat
  • live in supported housing provided by social landlords, charities or voluntary organisations who also provide care, support or supervision
  • are a MHS homes tenant and your tenancy started before 1989

Housing benefit will continue to be paid under the previous scheme for these tenants.