Who can apply?
LHA is for people on a low income who are living in private rented property and claiming housing benefit for the first time.
You can't get LHA if you:
- are a council or housing association tenant
- have a tenancy that started before 1989
- live in a caravan, mobile home or houseboat
- live in supported housing provided by social landlords, charities or voluntary organisations who also provide care, support or supervision
- are a MHS homes tenant and your tenancy started before 1989
Housing benefit will continue to be paid under the previous scheme for these tenants.