Under the street works permit scheme any person or company that wants to carry out works on the highway must apply for a permit.

We can accept or refuse a permit and decide how and when the works are carried out.

The permits means that we have effective control of roadworks.

They also help us to:

  • ensure all works are planned to minimise disruption
  • improve journey times for road users
  • reduce traffic caused by roadworks
  • improve the information available on works, such as advanced warning and duration times
  • improve safety for those carrying out the works
  • reduce road damage.

How to apply for a permit

To find out about the permit scheme, including how to apply, download our Medway Permit Scheme document.

For any questions, email: streetworks@medway.gov.uk

Medway roadworks

Details of all upcoming roadworks can be found at Roadworks.org. Current roadworks are shown on our Medway roadworks page.

Parking bay suspensions

If you need to suspend parking bays on the highway or in a public car park, you'll need to apply for a parking bay suspension.

Temporary road closures

If you need to close a road to complete works on the highway, you'll need to apply for a temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO).

Background to the scheme

We introduced the street works permit scheme in January 2017.

For background information on the permit scheme, download our Street works permit scheme overview.