Roadworks are the most common reason for closing a road for a set amount of time. Other reasons for road closures include:

  • street parties
  • events
  • building works.

Requesting a road closure

If you're organising an event in Medway, such as a street party or parade, you can request a temporary road closure.

Demonstrations and parades are dealt with under Section 21 of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 and occur mainly in Rochester and Chatham. Section 21 can also be used for street parties.

Major events, such as the Tour de France or the Olympics, are dealt with under Section 16a Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

How to request a road closure

You can request a:


Our fees are:

  • £1605.24 Planned Works s.14 (1) up to 21 days
  • £2000 Planned Works s 14 (1) more than 21 days
  • £1244.15 for Emergency Closures s.14 (2).

Medway roadworks

Details of all upcoming roadworks can be found at Current roadworks are shown on our Medway roadworks page.

Parking bay suspensions

If you need to suspend parking bays on the highway or in a public car park, you'll need to apply for a parking bay suspension.

Temporary road closures

If you need to close a road to complete works on the highway, you'll need to apply for a temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO).