What to do if someone leaves your household because they are now living elsewhere such a care home or their own home.

Council Tax, housing, benefits and voting

If your circumstances change, the amount of Housing Benefit you get may change. It is benefit fraud if you fail to update your details and claim benefits you’re no longer entitled to. This could result in a fine or prosecution.

You may now be eligible for the following benefits:

  • If you're 18 years of age or over and live alone you can get 25% off your Council Tax bill. Find out more about single occupancy reductions.

  • If you’re on a low income, you may be eligible for a Council Tax reduction to reduce your council tax bill.

If they have moved to another address in Medway they will need to register for Council Tax

If the person leaving your household is a student, they can register to vote at their student accommodation address and home address. They must not vote more than once in the same election.

Those moving to a care home should speak to their warden or care home manager who can register them at their new address. Or they can register to vote at their new address.

Travel, parking and equipment for disabled people

Return a Blue Badge

You can return an unneeded badge by posting it to: Blue Badge Team, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, ME4 4TR.

Apply for a Blue Badge

Apply for a Blue Badge for them so that you can park near their home or your destination when they are a passenger.

Transfer a Blue Badge

If the person leaving your household already has a Blue Badge they can use it at their new address.

Return their unneeded pass

Return the unneeded pass to: Concessionary Bus Pass Team, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, ME4 4TR.

Apply for a concessionary bus pass

Transfer a bus pass to their new address

  • If the person is moving to a Medway address their bus pass still remains valid and they can continue to use it until the expiry date.

  • If they are moving away from Medway they'll need to apply to their new council.

If the person who is leaving was provided with disability equipment and is moving to an address in Medway, the equipment should move with them if it's suitable for their new home.

If they're moving to another area, or it's not suitable for their new home, the equipment must be returned to us.

To return the equipment phone the Equipment Loan Store (also known as MICES) on 01634 334 860.

To request removal of a Medway Council provided stair lift phone us on 01634 334 466. We will only remove the stair lift, not the electrics.

When someone dies

Working out what to do after a death can seem overwhelming.

Check our guide: what to do after someone dies. It covers how to register the death, notify government departments and manage financial, benefits and housing issues.

Tell us once

The Tell us once service lets you report a death to a range of local and central government organisations in one go.

Find out more about tell us once.