Report a concern about supported housing

If you're not happy with the quality of the accommodation or support you have received from your supported housing provider or landlord, you should raise these concerns directly with your provider first.

Report a concern to the SHIP team

Our online form is only for reporting a concern about supported accommodation.

If your concerns are about the private sector, social housing, or a care home, do not complete this form. 

Instead, see advice for:

Before you start

To use our online form, you'll need to tell us:

  • which area your concern is for
  • who is reporting the concern (including consent where necessary if you're reporting on behalf of someone else)
  • whether concerns have already been reported to the supported housing provider and details of this
  • your contact details.

If you're a professional or SHIP partner, you can use this form to make a referral or report a concern on behalf of someone else.

Report a concern about supported housing

What happens next

The information will be passed on to the SHIP team.

If you have told us your email address, you'll get a confirmation email letting you know that we have received this information.

We aim to get back to you within 5 working days.