Make a complaint

If you do not agree with action taken by the inspector, you can make a complaint.

You have the right to appeal at a magistrates court against a hygiene improvement notice or a refusal by the council to lift a hygiene emergency prohibition order made earlier by the court.

A magistrates court must also confirm the emergency closure of a business or the seizure of food.

If magistrates decide the premises have been shut without a good reason or that food has been wrongly seized or detained, you have the right to compensation.