There are several requirements and checks that you need to meet before you rent out your property. There are also actions you need to take for every tenant that rents from you.
- protect all tenant deposits in a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme
- give your tenants a Tenant Information Pack
- give your tenants a copy of the guide How to Rent: The Checklist for Renting in England
- give your tenants out-of-hours contact numbers in case of emergency
- give tenants a general contact number to report any maintenance issues
- make an Energy Performance Certificate available to all potential tenants
- have a HMO licence to rent out a property to five or more tenants who form two or more households and use shared facilities such as bathrooms and kitchens
Who to notify
If you want to rent your property you must:
- tell your buildings and contents insurance provider
- get permission from your mortgage provider (if you have a mortgage)
- check your new tenant has a right to stay in the UK and the right to rent
Draft Housing Enforcement and Licensing Policy
We're committed to improving the standards of private rented housing. We would like to hear your views on our draft policy.
Read more about our draft Housing Enforcement and Licensing Policy consultation.