Landlord responsibilities

What landlords must do

There are several requirements and checks that you need to meet before you rent out your property. There are also actions you need to take for every tenant that rents from you.

Landlords must:

Who to notify

If you want to rent your property you must:

  • tell your buildings and contents insurance provider 
  • get permission from your mortgage provider (if you have a mortgage)
  • check your new tenant has a right to stay in the UK and the right to rent.