Licensed Hackney Carriage vehicles must only be driven by a licensed Hackney Carriage Driver. The vehicle cannot be driven by anyone who does not hold the relevant licence, even if the vehicle is not for hire (for example, partners driving for social and domestic purposes).
This allows them to:
- carry passengers for hire and reward
- be hailed by prospective passengers
- park on a Hackney Carriage rank to await the approach of passengers
The vehicle must be presented (by appointment) to the Licensing Unit for a specification check before purchase. If an applicant or driver purchase a vehicle without the council first inspecting it and it is subsequently refused a licence as it does not comply with the above criteria, the council will not be liable for any expense incurred.
Vehicle specification and conditions
These form part of the council's Taxi Policy and are as follows:
- Appendix A – Vehicle Specification
- Appendix B – HC Vehicle Conditions
- Appendix C – PH Vehicle Conditions
- Appendix D – Fire Extinguishers
For more information contact Licensing Unit on 01634 337 108 or by emailing email@example.com
Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR