The owner of a Hackney Carriage Vehicle or Private Hire Vehicle must report an accident within 72 hours of an accident taking place. It is an offence if you fail to tell us within 72 hours and enforcement action will be taken.

Report an accident to us online or write to Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR.

The legislation about reporting an accident to us is under Section 50(3) of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.

Reporting an accident by letter

Make sure that you provide the following details:

  • full name
  • address
  • contact details such as telephone number, mobile number and/or email
  • plate number
  • information about the accident. For example the location of where the accident happened, if anyone seriously hurt, if there any witnesses to the incident and if it was reported to the police
  • detailed description of the damage to the vehicle including if it is roadworthy

What will happen next

A licensing enforcement officer will contact you and make an appointment to inspect the vehicle under Section 68 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.

If the vehicle is not roadworthy it will be immediately suspended. This may take place over the phone if the vehicle is not fit for an inspection at the council offices.

We will issue a suspension notice which may be collected from the council offices or posted to you. This notice will explain the reasons and grounds for the suspension. 

If the vehicle is roadworthy we will ask for the vehicle to come into the council offices and make you an appointment with an enforcement officer. We will carry out an Inspection Notice outlining any works that need to be completed and a timescale. If we suspend the vehicle you will be issued an immediate suspension notice.

For more informationphone 01634 306 000 or email

Or write to: Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR