You will need to pass the appropriate knowledge test for Hackney or Private Hire before applying in full for a drivers licence.
To pass the knowledge test you need a pass mark of at least 80 per cent for Section 1 (multiple choice) and 60 per cent for Section 2 (prominent places).
All areas within Medway may be included in the questions for routes in section 1 and prominent places in section 2.
Knowledge test dates
The tests will be held four times each year, the next provisional dates are:
- Wednesday 27 June 2018 (This test is full. The test on 28 February 2018 had to be cancelled and those booked on that test are now booked for this date)
- Wednesday 24 October 2018
- Wednesday 27 February 2019
Booking a knowledge test
Knowledge test booking forms will be available to download two months before the date of the test and must be received by at least one month before the date of the test.
A booking form and form of endorsement must be completed for each test. We do not keep or return pervious ones.
When completing the booking form you will need to:
- complete the booking form in full
- include the form of endorsement
- provide two identical recent photographs that are a true likeness of you
One photograph must be certified by someone who has known you personally for at least two years but cannot be related to you by birth or marriage, in a personal relationship with you or live at the same address as you. Read the photograph guidance for further information.
They must also include the statement: ‘I certify that this is a true likeness of [Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms or other title followed by your full name].’ They must then sign and date the form of endorsement, it is not enough to just to sign and date the photograph.
If you fail to return these forms, photos and pay the fee at least a month before your test, you will not be able to sit the test. The fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. Bookings are confirmed in writing.
Paying for your test
The test costs £65 and must be made by card by phoning 01634 337 108 (please include your receipt number on the booking form). We do not accept cheques and cash payments.
Knowledge test structure
The private hire test will consist of 15 multiple choice questions made up of a selection of questions on routes, Penalty Points within the Taxi Policy, mathematical in respect of the taxi tariff (how much to charge) and 30 prominent places.
The hackney carriage test will consist of 20 multiple choice questions made up of a selection of questions on routes, Penalty Points within the Taxi Policy, mathematical in respect of the taxi tariff (work out how much to charge and change to be given) and 25 prominent places.
Advice for studying for the test
- Multiple Choice Routes are set using Bing Maps and you need to decide which one is the shortest distance
- Get help studying for questions on the Taxi Policy
- Prominent places will include places of interest that people would like to visit such as doctors’ surgeries, licensed premises, sports facilities, schools, places of worship. Answers should be the street for the postal address where the place is located. If there is more than one street or road in the borough with that name such as High Street, then you need to say which town it’s in
Only one officer deals with the setting of the tests and external staff mark the test papers using the test answer sheets provided by the person setting the test – we do not have access to these before the test takes place.
Further information about the knowledge test
- Tests are kept securely until the day of the test
- New tests are created each time
- There are no specimen tests for you to use to study
- Tests will be marked within three to four weeks of the day of the test
- Applicants will be notified of the result in writing
- We can't tell you the results over the phone
- The result will show your percentage mark for each section
- We will not enter into any discussion regarding the result
- Test papers cannot be viewed
- Test papers are shredded and disposed of as confidential waste three months after the test date