What you'll need

You'll need to have had a few checks and assessments when you apply for a Hackney Carriage and private hire driving licence. This is to ensure that you are suitable and safe to drive.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks

Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Drivers carry out 'regulated activity' when transporting children or vulnerable adults to or from a regulated activity.

These activities are organised by the activity providers or an organisation working for them such as a local authority school contract or NHS contract.

For this reason, you must have a disclosure that shows all convictions, cautions and warnings you may have, whether they are deemed spent or not.

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) checks

A DVLA check shows your driving endorsement history and any current points you may have on your licence. 

This check costs £5 and you can pay this fee by cheque or postal order, made payable to DVLA, should be attached to your completed DVLA Mandate.  

Group 2 medical checks

You must be medically fit to apply the driving licence. We have adopted the DVLA Group 2 medical standards which you must meet. You will need to provide evidence of this from a registered general practitioner (GP) to show if you are fit to drive under the standards.

You can find the medical form and medical practitioner declaration in the driver licence application pack. You will need to pay the fee for the medical directly to the GP.

Driving standards assessment

A driving assessment is for applicants who have already passed their driving test and may have years of driving experience. This assessment will show if your standard of driving is high enough to ensure passengers have a safe, comfortable and enjoyable journey.

Our driving standards assessments are provided by Green Penny and DIAmond Advanced Motorists Ltd. You will need to pay the assessment fee directly to the assessment provider. 

Book a test with Green Penny

Book a test with Diamond Advanced Motorists Ltd 

Form of endorsement

Your form of endorsement must be completed by an acceptable countersignatory (please read the Photograph Guidance) who has known you personally for at least two years. They must not be related to you by birth or marriage, be in a personal relationship with you, or live at the same address as you.

This person must endorse two identical passport sized recent photographs that are a true likeness of you. One photograph must be signed, dated and certified by them, stating the following:  ‘I certify that this is a true likeness of [Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms or other title followed by your full name]’.