Apply for an essential user parking permit
You can apply for an essential user parking permit online.
What you'll need
Before you start, you'll need:
- a letter from your employer, on headed paper, proving you’re an employee and need a parking permit. This must be dated within the last 3 months
- if you use your own vehicle, provide vehicle proof, such as a copy of your vehicle registration document or insurance certificate
- if you drive a company vehicle, a letter from your employer to confirm your name, home address and details of the company vehicle you drive.
Your proof must be clear and readable.
An essential user parking permit costs £40.
What happens next
Once you’ve applied, we’ll let you know if your application is successful or not. If your application is not successful, we will tell you why.
If your application is successful, we’ll send you an email with details of how to pay.
You have 60 days to make payment once we’ve approved your application.
We aim to get your permit to your business address within 10 working days of the date we received payment.
How to use your permit
When you park in a controlled parking zone, you must:
- display the permit in the windscreen area of your vehicle
- display the parking clock that comes with the permit in the windscreen area of your vehicle, which must be set at the time you arrive
- only use it when working in the community.
If your vehicle does not have a windscreen, for example you have a motorcycle, you must display it in a clear position.
If you do not display your permit clearly or use it in a different controlled parking zone, you risk being issued with a parking fine, also known as a penalty charge notice (PCN).
The permit does not guarantee you a parking space. You cannot use it to park in other controlled parking zones or on single or double yellow lines in a zone.