Qualification programmes

There are 2 main routes to becoming a social worker with the partnership. 

These are:

  • degree level entry
  • Step Up to Social Work.

Degree level entry

There are 2 options available for entry at degree level. This can depend on your background.

All of the programmes require you to attend practice placements which allow you to develop your practice, research skills and apply your knowledge.

Bachelor of Arts - BA (Hons)

Completing this degree helps you to develop the knowledge and practical skills you need to become a confident and skilled social work practitioner.

Master of Arts - MA

This qualification is designed as a route into professional practice for graduates in other undergraduate subjects. 

Local universities offering social work degrees

The University of Kent (UoK) and Canterbury Christ Church University (CCCU) each offer a 3 year BA (Hons) and a 2 year MA course in Social Work.

They are both Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) approved degrees which qualify and prepare you to be a social worker.


On a BA or MA degree programme, students will be offered placement opportunities with either Medway Council, Kent County Council or other local social care providers.

You will have the following support on your placement:

  • a qualified social worker who is also a practice educator
  • in some cases, an on-site supervisor
  • a placement tutor provided by the university
  • a personal tutor.

Placements last:

  • 70 days in year 2, and 100 days in year 3 for the BA (Hons) degree
  • 70 days in year 1, and 100 days in year 2 for the MA degree.

In partnership with

Medway Council Kent County Council University of Kent logo Canterbury Christ church University