Claim Housing Benefit
Housing Benefit can help you pay for part or all of your rent.
You could get Housing Benefit if you:
- pay rent
- are on a low income or claiming benefits
- have savings below £16,000
You can apply if you’re unemployed or working. If you live with a partner, only one of you can get Housing Benefit.
Who can apply for Housing Benefit
From 30 May 2018, we will only accept new Housing Benefit claims from:
- pensioners (from the 15 May 2019, if you are in a couple, both members need to have reached state pension age). Check state pension age
- people in specified accommodation
- people who are entitled or have been entitled in the last
month to a severe disability premium
- people placed in temporary accommodation by Medway Council
If you're a mixed age couple you may be entitled to claim housing benefit up to 13 August 2019, if you feel that you're entitled to a 3 month backdate.
If you believe that you fall into this category, please complete the claim housing benefit form and state that both of you have reached pension age. We will then contact you about this.
Severe Disability Premium
From 16 January 2019, you may also be eligible to claim Housing Benefit if you are entitled (or have been entitled in the last month) to one of the following benefits:
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support
- Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
- Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
If you are not eligible to claim Housing Benefit, you can apply for Universal Credit for help with your housing costs.
If you need help to pay your council tax, you can apply for help here.