Claim Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay for part or all of your rent.

You could get Housing Benefit if you:

  • pay rent
  • are on a low income or claiming benefits
  • have savings below £16,000

You can apply if you’re unemployed or working. If you live with a partner, only one of you can get Housing Benefit.

Claim Housing Benefit

Who can apply for Housing Benefit

From 30 May we will only accept new Housing Benefit claims from:

  • pensioners
  • people in specified accommodation
  • people who have more than 2 children
  • people placed in temporary accommodation by Medway Council

Severe Disability Premium

From 16th January 2019 you may also be eligible to claim Housing Benefit if you are entitled (or have been entitled in the last month) to one of the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
  • Job Seekers Allowance (income based)

This will include a Severe Disability Premium, and you will still be entitled to a Severe Disability Premium.

Download the Severe Disability Premium eligibility criteria