Claim Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay for part or all of your rent.

You could get Housing Benefit if you:

  • pay rent
  • are on a low income or claiming benefits
  • have savings below £16,000

You can apply if you’re unemployed or working. If you live with a partner, only one of you can get Housing Benefit.

Claim Housing Benefit

Who can apply for Housing Benefit

We can only accept new claims for Housing Benefit from:

  • pensioners (if you are in a couple, both members need to have reached state pension age)
  • people in specified accommodation
  • people who are entitled or have been entitled in the last month to a severe disability premium 
  • people placed in temporary accommodation by Medway Council

If you're not eligible to claim housing benefit, you may be able to claim Universal Credit to help with your housing.

If you think you're no longer eligible for Housing Benefit, you can update your Housing Benefit details.

Severe Disability Premium

You may also be eligible to claim Housing Benefit if you are entitled (or have been entitled in the last month) to one of the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
  • Job Seekers Allowance (income based)

If you need help to pay your Council Tax, you can apply for the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.