Key dates for applying for primary school
You can apply for your child to start school in year R (reception) if they were born between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016.
You can apply to transfer from infant to junior school (year 3) if your child was born between 1 September 2012 and 31 August 2013 and goes to an infant school.
If your child is in year 2 in a primary school which runs from year R to year 6, you do not need to apply for year 3. You will only need to apply if you want your child to transfer to a junior school.
If your child has an education, health and care (EHC) plan or a statement of special educational needs you will need to email email@example.com instead.
Key dates for primary school admissions 2020
- Primary school applications open: 9am on Monday 9 September 2019
- Primary school applications close (national closing date): 5pm on Wednesday 15 January 2020
- Offers sent to parents and carers (national offer date): 16 April 2020
- Places must be accepted or refused by Friday 15 May 2020
- Requests to go on a waiting list and appeals must be submitted by Friday 15 May 2020
- Re-allocation of empty places begins on Monday 1 June 2020
- Re-allocation of empty places ends on Thursday 31 December 2020
Child health survey
If your child is starting school this year, you are probably preparing them for the move from nursery to school.
There is a lot to look forward to but you may have some questions and concerns around how they will manage without you. For example, you may have concerns about if they will make friends and if their health will affect their attendance.
We have introduced this questionnaire about school readiness for children born between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016. From your responses, we will give guidance and further support if needed.
It should take about 10 to 15 minutes to complete.
Completing this questionnaire is not part of the school admission process and will not influence your child's school choice.