Dates for applying for primary school
You can apply for your child to start school in year R (reception) if they were born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017.
You can apply to transfer from infant to junior school (year 3) if your child was born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014 and goes to an infant school.
If your child is in year 2 in a primary school which runs from year R to year 6, you do not need to apply for year 3. You will only need to apply if you want your child to transfer to a junior school.
If your child has an education, health and care (EHC) plan or a statement of special educational needs you will need to complete a different form. More about applying for a school place for a child with an EHC plan
Key dates for primary school admissions 2021
- Primary school applications open: 9am on Monday 7 September 2020
- Primary school applications close (national closing date): 5pm on Friday 15 January 2021
- Offers sent to parents and carers (national offer date): 16 April 2021
- Places must be accepted or refused by Friday 14 May 2021
- Requests to go on a waiting list and appeals must be submitted by Friday 14 May 2021
- Re-allocation of empty places begins on Monday 7 June 2021
- Re-allocation of empty places ends on Friday 31 December 2021
Child health survey
We have introduced this questionnaire about school readiness for children born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017. From your responses, we will give guidance and further support if needed.
Completing this questionnaire is not part of the school admission process and will not influence your child's school choice.