Dates for applying for primary school
You can apply for your child to start school in year R (reception) if they were born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017.
You can apply to transfer from infant to junior school (year 3) if your child was born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014 and goes to an infant school.
If your child is in year 2 in a primary school which runs from year R to year 6, you do not need to apply for year 3. You will only need to apply if you want your child to transfer to a junior school.
If your child has an education, health and care (EHC) plan or a statement of special educational needs you will need to complete a different form. More about applying for a school place for a child with an EHC plan
Key dates for primary school admissions 2021
- Primary school applications open: 9am on Monday 7 September 2020
- Primary school applications close (national closing date): 5pm on Friday 15 January 2021
- Offers sent to parents and carers (national offer date): 16 April 2021
- Places must be accepted or refused by Friday 14 May 2021
- Requests to go on a waiting list and appeals must be submitted by Friday 14 May 2021
- Re-allocation of empty places begins on Monday 7 June 2021
- Re-allocation of empty places ends on Friday 31 December 2021