It’s important to check if your building is listed or in a conservation area as there will be more limitations attached.

Listed buildings

Listed buildings are of special architectural or historic interest and are protected for future generations. They’re listed in their entirety, so even minor works, such as external painting, will require planning permission.

Check if a building is listed on Historic England

For more information on listed buildings with our listed buildings in Medway - guide for owners and occupiers.

Conservation areas

Buildings in conservation areas need planning consent before they are demolished or partly demolished and any new developments must be in keeping with or enhance the character and appearance of an area.

To make changes to a building in a conservation area, you must:

  • get planning permission to alter or change doors, windows and walls, and make minor changes such as external painting
  • give us 6 weeks written notice if you want to prune or fell a tree in a conservation area
  • check if permission is needed to put up signs or satellite dishes

Check if a building is in a conservation area

Works in conservation areas

If you’re planning to alter, restore or extend existing buildings in Watts Avenue, Roebuck Road or Gillingham Park we have design guides to help you.

Design guides for shop owners

Article 4 Directions

If your planning proposals affect a listed building or a building in a conservation areas, there are likely to be Article 4 Directions attached to your permissions.

Find out more about Article 4 Directions