We have a duty to keep a register of people or associations seeking serviced plots of land in Medway to self or custom build their own home that will be their only or main residence.
The register provides useful information on the level of demand for self-build and custom housebuilding in Medway. We’ll consider this when allocating land for different development types in the Medway Local Plan and when deciding on planning applications for housing.
Things to consider
- self and custom build projects will still be subject to the same planning requirements and obligations as standard residential planning applications
- we will keep your details on record and notify you if a suitable plot becomes available
- we will try to find suitable plots to offer those on the register but there is no guarantee of when or if we will find suitable sites
- we will not share your personal contact details without your permission
- when plots are identified, they will be available at market value
- applicants will need to finance the purchase of land and construction of the development themselves
- when considering if a home is a self-build or custom build home, we must be satisfied that the initial owner of the home will have primary input into its final design and layout
We’re encouraged to publish headline data for each base period such as:
- the number of people and associations on the register
- the number of plots sought
- location preferences
- plot size
- type of housing intended to be build
Apply to be added to the register
You can register as an individual or an association. Couples, or 2 or more members of one household that are jointly seeking to acquire a plot, will need to nominate one member to apply for entry onto the register.
Apply to be added to the register with the following forms:
- Application for individual self-build and custom housebuilding
- Application for associations self-build and custom housebuilding
- Application for associations additional members
Once you’ve completed the form please send it to us by email or by post, using
We will determine your application within 28 days of receiving it, and your eligibility will be sent to you within 28 days of it being determined.
We only acknowledge those that are directly registered with us as forming part of our
Guidance on self build and custom housebuilding
You can get extra guidance on self build and custom housebuilding legislation using the following links:
- Planning practice guidance
- Self Build and Custom Housbuilding Act 2015
- The self build and custom housebuilding regulations 2016
- Housing and Planning Act 2016
- Self build and custom housebuilding (time for compliance and fees) regulations 2016
You can get more guidance on the following websites: