We have a duty to keep a register of people or associations seeking serviced plots of land in Medway to self or custom build their own home that will be their only or main residence.
The register provides useful information on the level of demand for self-build and custom housebuilding in Medway. We’ll consider this when allocating land for different development types in the Medway Local Plan and when deciding on planning applications for housing.
Things to consider
- Self and custom build projects will still be subject to the same planning requirements and obligations as standard residential planning applications
- We will keep your details on record and notify you if a suitable plot becomes available
- We will try to find suitable plots to offer those on the register but there is no guarantee of when or if we will find suitable sites
- We will not share your personal contact details without your permission
- When plots are identified, they will be available at market value unless they're part of an affordable scheme
- Applicants will need to finance the purchase of land and construction of the development themselves
- When considering if a home is a self-build or custom build home, we must be satisfied that the initial owner of the home will have primary input into its final design and layout.
Guidance on self-build and custom housebuilding
You can get extra guidance on self build and custom housebuilding legislation using the following links:
- Help to Build on GOV.UK
- Planning practice guidance
- Self-Build and Custom Housbuilding Act 2015
- The self-build and custom housebuilding regulations 2016
- Housing and Planning Act 2016
- Self-build and custom housebuilding (time for compliance and fees) regulations 2016.
You can get more guidance on the following websites: