Tips for living independently
You can save a lot of money by planning and budgeting your food shop and buying own brand or a Basics range.
Track best deals at Money Saving Expert
When you go food shopping it’s a good idea to:
- take a list and take some shopping bags with you
- plan your weekly menu and only buy what you need
- keep to a budget
Some supermarkets are cheaper than others, you can shop around for the best deals.
You can get help making great affordable recipes on BBC Good Food or All Recipes
You can freeze larger dishes like lasagnes in a container and reheat to save you time and reduce food waste.
Cleaning up once a week will keep your new place feeling fresh and welcoming.
When cleaning you will need to:
- clean the bathroom using a bathroom cleaner and a non-scratch sponge
- hoover your home every week
- empty the bins – find your bin collection day or what goes in your bins
- wash your sheets, duvet cover or towels at least every fortnight
If you’ve not used a washing machine before, remember to separate white and dark clothing.
Check how to use a washer or dryer if you have one in your new home before you move in.
If you take washing to a laundrette, sort clothes as you go so things are easier to load into machines and make sure you have the correct money for the machines.