Tips for living independently
You can save a lot of money by planning and budgeting your food shop and buying own brand or a Basics range.
When you go food shopping it’s a good idea to:
- take a list and take some shopping bags with you
- plan your weekly menu and only buy what you need
- keep to a budget
Some supermarkets are cheaper than others, you can shop around for the best deals.
You can freeze larger dishes like lasagnes in a container and reheat to save you time and reduce food waste.
Cleaning up once a week will keep your new place feeling fresh and welcoming.
When cleaning you will need to:
- clean the bathroom using a bathroom cleaner and a non-scratch sponge
- hoover your home every week
- empty the bins – find your bin collection day or what goes in your bins
- wash your sheets, duvet cover or towels at least every fortnight
If you’ve not used a washing machine before, remember to separate white and dark clothing.
Check how to use a washer or dryer if you have one in your new home before you move in.
If you take washing to a laundrette, sort clothes as you go so things are easier to load into machines and make sure you have the correct money for the machines.