Get support as a carer

If you give regular care to an adult, friend or family member you are entitled to a carer’s assessment to find out if you could get support as a carer.

You can get help as a carer if your physical or mental health is deteriorating or is at risk of deteriorating. Or you cannot do 2 or more of the following:

  • carry out any care responsibilities for a child or other person
  • keep up with the maintenance of your home
  • eat well
  • develop your personal relationships
  • work, train, get education or volunteer
  • make use of facilities or services in your area such as leisure activities

During the assessment you will:

  • be asked if the care you give is necessary
  • be asked if the care you give affects your health, wellbeing, relationships or your finances
  • tell us what difficulties you are facing and if being a carer is making it difficult to do things in your life such as going to college, saving money
  • tell us about the needs of the person you care for, the services they get and if you thin they need any adaptations, equipment, home care or day services
  • how you can be best supported

This will help us see the effect caring has on your life and how support could help you.

Get a carer’s assessment

If you care for someone who lives in Medway, you can apply for a care assessment by contacting us on the details below.

For an adult carers assessment phone 01634 334 466 or email

For a young carers assessment phone Carers FIRST on 0300 303 1555 or email