Respite and short breaks

If you are caring for someone, you may be able to get respite care to give carers a break from their role.

Short term respite can be provided:

  • through support at home
  • in day centres for those being cared for
  • through short term residential care.

To discuss your respite needs contact your Care Manager or Carers First. They will carry out an assessment to see if you are eligible.

If you do not have a care manager contact us by emailing or phone 01634 334 466.

Direct payments

If you already get social care from Medway Council, are the parent of a disabled child or have been assessed as eligible for care you are entitled to direct payments. 

Contact the direct payment team by phoning 01634 331 351 or emailing

Carers’ Relief Service

The Carers’ Relief Service in Strood offers a short break to carers who look after adults with learning disabilities who live at home. It aims to give flexibility based on the needs of the main carer and the person they care for.

The service has personal support workers who work in the community with the adult with a learning disability and will help with:

  • shopping
  • swimming, bowling and other sporting activities
  • hospital visits
  • attending parties, clubs and other social groups
  • staying in the home.

The service also supports adults with a learning disability who are living independently in the community.

For more information, phone 01634 715 995 or email

Carers' Relief Service is registered charity number 1051841.