Children’s book clubs
We run secure online book clubs for 8 to 19 year olds on Microsoft Teams. All the books are available for free, along with thousands of others, through our eLibrary.
Please check our coronavirus (COVID-19) updates before visiting our libraries.
8 to 12 year olds:
Book title: to be confirmed
- monthly on a Thursday, 4pm to 5pm (next date to be confirmed)
To register your interest, email email@example.com
13 to 16 year olds:
Book title: to be confirmed
- monthly on a Wednesday, 4pm to 5pm (next date to be confirmed)
To book, email firstname.lastname@example.org
17 to 19 year olds:
Book title: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K Rowling
- Thursday 20 May, 6pm to 7pm
Read or listen to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for free.
Email email@example.com to book.
Virtual book club:
Mystery of Edwin Drood
Drood is the final, unfinished novel by Dickens. The central mystery, the disappearance of Edwin Drood, plays out in a thinly-disguised Rochester. This is gothic Rochester as you have never seen it
You can join the book club at any time by downloading the eBook, and joining our discussions on the Reading Drood blog.
Watch an introduction to Reading Drood:
There are book clubs at every library and groups dedicated to:
- crime fiction
There are groups for:
- the hard of hearing
- the visually impaired
Book club dates and times
- Hempstead Library, second Monday of the month, 10.30am
- Strood Library, third Monday of the month, 7pm
- Rainham Library, first Tuesday of the month, 10.15am
- Grain Library, first Tuesday of the month, 12.30pm to 1.30pm
- Gillingham Library, second Tuesday of the month, 10.30am
- Twydall Library, third Tuesday of the month, 2pm (except August and December)
- Strood Library, first Wednesday of the month, 2.30pm
- Gillingham Library, third Thursday of the month, 10.30am
- Chatham Library, third Thursday of the month, 10.30am
- Lordswood Library, last Thursday of the month, 10.30am
- Rochester Library, last Thursday of the month, 10am
- Wigmore Library, last Thursday of the month, 2pm
- Cuxton Library - contact the library for the next meeting date
- Walderslade Village Library, third Friday of the month, 10.30am
- Hoo Library, first Saturday of the month, 10.30am
For lovers of crime novels we have crime readers' groups at:
- Lordswood Library, first Thursday of the month, 11am
- Luton Library, second Thursday of the month, 3pm
- Rochester Library, second Thursday of the month, 2pm
A friendly and informal group for all you poetry lovers to share your favourite poems at:
- Wigmore Library, second Tuesday of the month, 2pm
Visually Impaired People (VIP) readers
A specialist group for visually impaired readers who listen to talking books and want to discuss them. New members are always welcome!
For more information call 01634 337 799.
These groups are held at Rochester Library, on the third Friday of the month at 2pm.