Before you consider disposing of asbestos, please read important information from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
You can get rid of asbestos waste at our 3 household waste and recycling centres:
- Capstone site, Shawstead Road, Chatham
- Cuxton site, Sundridge Hill, Cuxton (temporarily closed)
- Hoath Way site, Gillingham
You'll need to book an appointment to visit the Capstone and Hoath Way sites.
Before arriving at the waste and recycling centre, please contact us on 01634 333 333 the working day before your booking, to check that we have space to accept your delivery of asbestos waste.
Our phone lines are not open during the weekend. Therefore, you should avoid booking a slot on a Sunday or Monday, as you will not be able to check with us that the site has space for your asbestos.
How to secure your asbestos waste
You must securely seal your asbestos waste before arriving at a waste and recycling centre. To do this:
- Double wrap the asbestos in heavy-duty plastic (500 to 1,000 gauge)
- Seal with heavy-duty tape to prevent tears in the packaging and contamination of your vehicle
We will not accept any asbestos waste that has not been double bagged or wrapped.
Asbestos waste we accept
- Asbestos cement roofing
- Asbestos down pipes and gutters
- Asbestos flues
- Asbestos tiles
We don’t accept any other types of asbestos at our waste and recycling centres.
What to do at our waste and recycling centres
When you arrive, the following steps must be taken:
- Before taking any items out of your vehicle, tell a member of staff that you need to get rid of asbestos.
- We will check that your asbestos waste is securely wrapped to minimise contamination at the centre. If your asbestos is not double-bagged or double-wrapped in heavy-duty plastic, you will be turned away.
- You will be asked to complete a declaration form to say you have brought asbestos to the centre. This is for health and safety reasons.
- We will direct you to an asbestos container where you can leave your asbestos items.