Offers for school places
All secondary school offers go out on 1 March 2021.
How you’ll get your offer
You’ll get your offer:
- by email after 4pm on 1 March 2021 if you apply online
- by post if you applied by paper. It’ll be posted on 1 March 2021 so you will get it after this date
- from your own local authority if you live outside of Medway, even if the offer is for a Medway school
We cannot guarantee that your child will get a place at one of the schools named on your application.
Doing the Medway Test (11+) does not guarantee your child a grammar school place.
Accepting or refusing a place
Once you get your offer you need to decide if you want to accept or refuse the school place. You should accept or refuse directly with the school we offered you.
You’ll be able to find how to do this in the next steps guide published on offer day.
You must accept or refuse your offer by Wednesday 31 March 2021.
Before accepting or refusing, remember:
- we advise you to accept the place offered even if you want to go on a waiting list or appeal, as there's no guarantee it will be successful
- an accepted place can always be released later, but a refused place cannot always be offered back
- refusing a school place does not improve your chance on a waiting list or in an appeal
If you’re unhappy with the offer, you can:
- ask us to add your child to the waiting list for any Medway school. Your child cannot go on the waiting list for a grammar school if they have not passed the Medway Test (11+)
- appeal for any of the schools you named on your application that have not offered your child a place
How we decide what school is offered to your child
All school places are offered based on each school's oversubscription criteria.
Naming a school in your application does not guarantee you a place. This will depend on how oversubscribed the school is and the priority of other applicants.
We will try to offer your child a place at one of your highest preferred schools.
Most children who are assessed as suitable for grammar school in the Medway Test (11+) will get a place at a grammar school. A child may be given a place at a non-grammar if it’s named as a higher preference on the application or if we cannot meet any of your preferred schools and there are no more grammar places.
The schools you name are not told your order of preference. The order is only known by you and Medway Council for the purpose of offering places only.
If you are not offered one of your preferences
We may not be able to offer your child a place at one of the schools named on your application. This will either be because:
- there were more applications than places and other applicants had a higher priority based on the school's oversubscription criteria
- it’s a grammar school and your child has not been assessed as suitable for grammar school in their Medway Test (11+)
You’ll be offered a place at the nearest school to your home with a space if you’re not offered a place at any of the schools named on your application.
If your child is assessed as suitable for a grammar school in the Medway Test (11+) we will try to offer them a grammar school place. This may not be possible if all grammar school places have already been allocated.