Applying for SEN travel assistance

We offer a range of flexible travel assistance options for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN).

This allows children to gain confidence and independence by helping them get to school or to an education placement while meeting their needs and allowing them to socialise.

Education travel assistance is provided for pupils of compulsory school age, 5 to 16.

View the SEN travel assistance policy

Who can apply

Parents or carers can apply for travel assistance when their child has:

  • a final or amended education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • a statement of special educational needs.

Having an EHC plan does not make a child automatically eligible.

A child’s eligibility is assessed based on:

  • the individual needs of the child, taking into account their age and mobility
  • the distance from home to the school (if transport is not needed in relation to SEN needs).

In exceptional circumstances, SEND pupils may be given special consideration based on medical grounds. If an application is made on this basis, relevant medical evidence will need to be supplied at the time of application. Consideration will also be given if the parent or carer is unable to accompany their child due to their own medical conditions.

How to apply

You can apply or reapply for SEN travel assistance online.

To apply, you'll need:

  • the child's name, address and date of birth
  • the child's education provider details
  • your name, address and contact details
  • details of two emergency contacts for the child
  • to select your preferred travel options for the child
  • the date the travel assistance needs to start.

You may also need: 

  • SEN officers name
  • details of any benefits you receive
  • details of the child's health or behavioral support needs and medication
  • details about your health conditions if it make it difficult for you to accompany the child to school.
  • social worker's name and contact details if you're applying for a child in care

Apply for SEN travel assistance online

Appealing a decision

If your application for travel assistance is refused you can request that the decision is reviewed, details of the review process are in the policy.

Cancel SEN travel assistance

If you no longer feel that your child needs SEN travel assistance you can cancel by emailing