A child may need a licence if they’re under school leaving age and taking part in:

  • films, plays, concerts or other public performances that the audience pays to see, or that take place on licensed premises
  • any sporting events or modelling assignments where the child is paid

The person in charge of running the event must apply for a child performance licence.

Licensing requirements

Before a licence can be issued, certain criteria have to be met:

  • the applicant must be physically fit to take part in performance or activity
  • the headteacher of the school (if appropriate) must give consent if school time is affected
  • the activity must be safe
  • the application form and supporting documents must be completed

Apply for a licence

The person in charge of running the event must apply for a child performance licence. You must apply for the licence at least 21 days before the event.

Request an application form by phone on 01634 337 310 or emailing childperformance@medway.gov.uk

Please complete and return the application form along with:

  • two identical passport size photographs of the child taken within the previous six months
  • proof of the child's age (e.g. a photocopy of the child's birth certificate)
  • a copy of the contract or agreement concerning the performance

It may also be necessary for a medical certificate/doctor's letter to be produced.

What we may do

We may make enquiries we consider necessary to grant a licence such as:

  • a report from the headteacher about the child to ensure the child's education does not suffer in any way because of the performances
  • that the child be medically examined to find out whether he or she is fit to take part in the performances or activities and that his or her health will not suffer as a result
  • an interview with the applicant, the child, his or her parents and the proposed chaperone and private teacher (if any)

Supervision for the child

If the child won’t be with their parent, school teacher or home tutor, they must be supervised by a chaperone approved by the council.