When you will need a licence

A child will need a licence if they’re under school leaving age and taking part in:

  • shows, plays, concerts or other public performances that the audience pays to see, or that take place on licensed premises
  • films, TV programmes or adverts that are filmed for public viewing
  • any sporting events or modelling assignments where the child is paid

The person in charge of running the event must apply for a child performance licence which you need to apply for at least 21 days before the event.

Licensing requirements

There are certain criteria that have to be met before a licence can be issued.

To get a licence the:

  • child must be physically fit to take part in performance or activity
  • headteacher of the school (if appropriate) must give consent if school time is affected
  • activity must be safe
  • application form and supporting documents must be completed

Supervision for the child

If the child will not be with their parent, school teacher or home tutor, they must be supervised by a chaperone approved by the council.

Find out more about chaperone licences