We have a number of services in our libraries that make our facilities accessible to everyone.
Services for the visually impaired
We have a range of services for the visually impaired:
- large-print books for adults and young people
- Audiobooks on CD and eAudiobooks for download
- ClearVision picture books with Braille books for parents and children
- Visually Impaired (VIP) Readers' Groups to discuss audiobooks
- Bookstart packs for babies and young children who are blind or partially sighted
Services for people who are hard of hearing
We offer the following services for people who are hard of hearing include:
- Hearing Loops available at some libraries
- regular group meetings for hard of hearing people
- Bookstart packs for babies and young children who are deaf or hearing impaired
Services for people with dyslexia and visual stress
We offer the following services for people with dyslexia and visual stress include:
- Reading rulers – if you are dyslexic or have visual stress, we have reading rulers available for loan
- Barrington Stoke – shorter novels printed on cream paper to aid reading
- Pre-recorded children's books – our children's library includes picture books that will allow your child to listen to the story while you follow on the page
- dyslexic font and larger font size options are available on our Libby eBook collection app
Services for people who are housebound
We provide a home library service if you are unable to leave your home or care for someone who is unable to leave their home.
Services for people with mental health issues
We offer the following services for people living with and supporting those living with mental health issues.
Reading Well book and eBook collections to help you to understand and manage your mental health condition:
- Reading Well for mental health
- Reading Well for people with long term conditions including chronic fatigue, arthritis, diabetes and asthma
- Reading Well for children
- Shelf Help: Reading Well for young people
- Reading Well for dementia
We also offer:
- books on mindfulness
- 'pictures to share' collections - large adult picture books to help aid memory recall, for adults with dementia.
- colour in and chill out sessions at Luton Library and Strood library, Community Hub Strood