Who can apply
Before applying for a licence you must first pass the appropriate knowledge test.
To apply you must:
- have a good understanding of English
- hold a full DVLA, Northern Ireland, or other EEA state driving licence that was issued at least 12 months ago
- be 18 years old or over
- have an enhanced criminal records check from the Disclosure and Barring Service
- have a medical examination with a registered GP who has access to your medical records
- get a driving standards pass certificate from one of our authorised driving assessment providers
- provide two passport photos with a Form of Endorsement
If you have lived outside of the UK at any time in the last 5 years, then you must get certificates of good conduct from the police. You need a certificate for each property you have lived in with details of any driving or criminal convictions.
Certificates must be translated into English and must be verified as genuine by the relevant embassy in the UK for the country of origin.