Medway Social Work Academy
We're committed to establishing a skilled, permanent social care workforce.
The academy has a programme of training and support for newly qualified social workers (NQSWs), qualified and experienced practitioners and managers. It has strong links with local universities and leading London universities, who are social work educators.
The academy has strong internal and external partnerships. It works closely with Medway’s safeguarding leads to invest in our social care workforce who make a difference for Medway’s service users.
Practice educating is encouraged to support the learning culture. Leadership programmes from the Institute of Leadership and Management ILM are available and we'll be focusing on developing leadership in our first line managers.
Personal development plans
Each member of staff has a personal development plan which is specific to their needs. We ensure that staff can build on their social work qualification, develop specialist interests and participate in multi agency groups such as the Medway Safeguarding Children’s Board.
The Social Work Academy is a virtual academy made up of the following faculties:
- Developing Social Care Staff: to provide all our social care staff with appropriate resources, training and development opportunities to support their continued professional development.
- Students’ Unit: provides support to students on placement including monthly Action Learning Sets and tutorials which are delivered by our Social Work Student Training Manager
- NQSW (ASYE): a 12 month ASYE programme has been developed for our social work graduates and is delivered by an advanced practitioner specifically recruited to guide NQSW’s through their first year.
- Extended Professional Development: provides support to our social workers including those who have recently completed their ASYE year. Social workers receive mentoring through every stage of their career and will have access to an extensive CPD programme along with specialist seminars and programmes tailored to support their emerging professional challenges.
- Advanced Professional Development: provides support to senior social workers, social work managers and head of service including step up programme for senior social workers to social work manager, ILM and Assisted and Supported Year in Management programme.
The faculties engage leaders in social work and its allied fields of work to engage in multi agency cross-cutting learning. The academy is an outstanding resource providing dynamic and professional leadership to our staff and students from our partner universities.
The Medway Social Work Academy was launched in April 2014.
Find out more about the Academy (click on 'Medway Children and Adults Social Care Academy').