What happens when you turn 18

When you turn 18, you will no longer have a social worker. We'll allocate you a personal adviser who will become your main worker until you’re 21, or up to 25 in some circumstances.

Leaving care

We have a legal duty to support you in making the transition from care into adulthood and independent living.

You're a care leaver if you are aged 16 to 25 and were in care for at least 13 weeks in total between the ages of 14 and 16 (including your 16th birthday).

Find out if you are a care leaver.

Leaving care service

Our leaving care service has 4 teams.

All teams have: 

  • a team manager
  • personal advisers
  • social workers
  • admin support.

We also have a:

  • Medway Council Corporate Parenting Board
  • Director and Assistant Director of Children’s Services
  • Head of Service for Corporate Parenting
  • Group Manager of the 16+ service.

Your personal adviser

When you transfer to the leaving care service from a child in care team, we'll allocate you a personal adviser. We'll continue to support you until you're 21, or 25 if you're in full-time education.

Your personal adviser will keep in contact, arrange meetings, and visit you at home and in the community.

If you're a former relevant care leaver and ask for support, we can support you up to your 25th birthday. 

If you choose to end support with the service but need advice or help in the future, you can contact us. We may allocate you a personal adviser or offer advice and signpost you to support.

You can contact us to discuss your needs even if you have not worked with us recently.