Bursaries, grants and funding

Everyone should have access to education. Your personal advisor will support you to get bursaries and grants to help you continue with your education.

If you go into higher education (university), we’ll help you get student finance, a higher education bursary and access to accommodation, textbooks and tools you might need.

Student finance

The main source of funding for your tuition and living costs will come from Student Finance England.

As a care leaver, you'll be classed as an 'independent student' and so household income will not be taken into account when working out how much student finance you can get.

You will not need to repay this loan until you start earning over a certain amount.

Visit GOV.UK for more information on how to apply and how much you can get.

Higher education bursaries

If you’re starting higher education for the first time before your 25th birthday you are entitled to a one-off bursary of at least £2,000.

You can speak to your personal advisor to find out how it will be paid to you.

You may also be able to apply for bursaries or extra help if you’re studying medicine, social work or teacher training.

16 to 19 Bursary for children in care and care leavers

If you are studying a fully recognised qualification at either a school, college or training provider and you're aged between 16 and 19, you may be entitled to the 16 to 19 bursary of £1,200 from the education provider.

The bursary is to support course-related costs such as travel, books, uniform and equipment.

The education provider (college, school or training provider) can decide how to give out the bursary. 

You may need to meet with someone from your education provider to discuss any course-related costs.

The payments may be paid straight into your bank account. So you'll need a bank account in your own name. 

How to apply for a bursary

You must apply for the bursary from your student services advisor at college before you start the course.

Make sure you understand the education provider's requirements for getting a bursary. This often includes at least 95% attendance and good behaviour. 

Discretionary Learner Support Fund

If you're 19 or over and are finding it difficult to access further education or training at your college, you may be able to apply to the Discretionary Learner Support Fund.

This fund is for students who are facing financial hardship and may be used for:

  • travel costs and accommodation
  • essential course equipment and materials 
  • child care costs (if you are aged 20 and over at the start of your course).

Speak to the education provider about the fund before you start a course as they will pay it. If you cannot get the fund, speak to your personal advisor. 


If you have a child and you're under 20 at the start of your course you can get government funding to help pay for childcare. 

Speak to your education provider to find out how to apply. 

Find out how to get childcare on GOV.UK

Disabled Students Allowance

If you have a learning difficulty, health problems or a disability, you may be able to apply for the Disabled Students Allowance to help with the cost during your studies.

Find out more about the Disabled Students Allowance on GOV.UK

Further help

Visit the Propel website for further help and information on bursaries, grants and funding.