You can appeal if you think your Council Tax bill is wrong because you do not think you should be liable or you think we’ve charged you for the wrong period.

You can also appeal your bill if you've had your application for a reduction or exemption refused and you do not agree with our decision.

How to appeal

To appeal your Council Tax bill, email with your:

  • name
  • address
  • account reference number
  • an explanation of what you think is wrong with the bill.

Quote your payment reference number (as shown on your Council Tax bill) in the subject line of your email. This will help us to deal with your enquiry more efficiently. 

We will then consider your appeal and if your bill is wrong, we will send you a new one. If we think your bill is right, we will explain our decision.

Appeal to the Valuation Tribunal

If you are unhappy with our decision or we have not replied to your appeal within two months, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

The appeal must be made within two months of our decision.

Please note that you must continue to pay your Council Tax while your appeal is being considered.

If you are successful and your Council Tax is reduced we will refund any overpayment to you.

Appeal to the Valuation Tribunal

Challenge your Council Tax band

The Valuation Office Agency are responsible for setting the Council Tax bands.

If you think your property is in the wrong band you can challenge your council tax band.