This is the content on the back of a Council Tax bill or recovery notice from Medway Council:

Payment methods

Direct Debit

If you already pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit you do not need to do anything. The instalment amounts shown on your bill will be collected on the dates shown.

Over 75,000 Medway residents save time by paying their Council Tax by Direct Debit. This is the easiest and safest way to pay, just complete the online form at and choose from 3 payment dates.

For internet banking please quote our bank sort code 57-17-50, our bank account number 00000000 and your payment reference number shown on the front of this bill.

Credit or Debit card
You can pay online using a credit or debit card at or by calling our 24-hour payment line 01634 334 477 (you cannot use the payment line if your payment reference number includes an X).

You can also send a cheque to the address on the front of this bill. Write your payment reference number on the back of your cheque. We will only send a receipt if a stamped addressed envelope is included with your payment. Please do not send cash by post.

If you want to pay at the Post Office please take this bill with you as payment cannot be accepted without the barcode on the front of the bill.


You will normally be offered payment over 10 monthly instalments on your annual bill, but you can request to pay over 12 months by emailing

General information

For more Council Tax information including how your money is spent please visit: You can contact us by email if you need a hard copy.

Reduce your bill

People on a low income may be able to claim Council Tax reduction and we have a discretionary scheme to help further with payment of your Council Tax. You can also get a 25% discount if you live alone or if you live with others that are not counted, such as students or those with a severe mental impairment. Properties only occupied by students or those that are severely mentally impaired may be exempt from payment.

From 1 April 2024, there is no longer a discount for an empty property and if it has been empty for more than a year you will be charged an additional premium. 

If someone in your property needs extra space because of their disability you may be entitled to a reduction. You can find details of all discounts and exemptions and apply online at

Change in circumstances

If you receive a discount, exemption or Council Tax Reduction, you must tell us about any changes that may affect this within 21 days or you could be fined £70. You can tell us about any changes affecting your Council Tax Reduction at or by writing to us. If you move home you can tell us at


If you think the amount of Council Tax Reduction is wrong, you can appeal by emailing or writing to the address on the front of this bill. If you disagree with any other decision about your council tax liability, your appeal should be sent to If we do not accept your argument, make a change but you still do not agree, or we do not get back to you within 2 months, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal at or by phoning 03001 232 035.

Council Tax banding

Your property has been put in a band between A and H depending on the property’s value and the higher the band, the more Council Tax you will pay. The Valuation Office Agency is responsible for banding all properties for Council Tax. If you think your band is wrong visit or call 03000 501 501. Please note that you must still pay the amount shown on this bill even if you decide to appeal. If your band is reduced any overpayment will be refunded to you.

Enquiries where you can find further information and tell us about a change of address, pay your Council Tax, set up a Direct Debit and apply for a Council Tax reduction, discount or exemption. or write to the address on the front of this bill.

phone call01634 332 222 (to make a payment call our 24-hour payment line 01634 334 477).

Data protection

The information that you provide will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018. Medway Council will not disclose information to unauthorised persons or to third parties for marketing purposes. However, because of our duty to protect public funds, information may be shared with council departments and other public service organisations. This may include data matching. For further information visit our website and search Data Protection.

Help us to stop fraud

If you know someone is claiming a reduction in Council Tax that should not be, report it in confidence at or email

Adult social care authorities

For adult social care authorities, Council Tax will show 2 percentage changes: one for the part of the overall change attributable to the adult social care precept, and one for the part attributable to general expenditure.